About Me

My photo
I'm a loving [although sometimes crazy] wife, a [very] loyal friend, a passionate educator, an involved citizen, a sensitive soul, a faithful Christian, a fiery Aries, and a classy lady.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Something Old, Something New

"Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and a Six-Pence in Her Shoe"


I'm not entirely sure where this trend started, but it's something I think we all learn as little girls. Some research tells me that it comes from Victorian Times, whichis also where the tradition of wearing a white wedding dress comes from. Maybe it's just the catchy rhyme of the words that keeps it going? Either way, I've thought about what each of these items will mean to me on my wedding day. I've kept things from my youth just to fufill some of these areas while others have been taken care of by friends I've met in my adult years. Each item represents so much to me - the strength of friendships, the love of family, the faith of those around you that your marriage will succeed. It's a nice time to honor those who've passed and celebrate those who stand beside you on this special day. So, let me tell you about my "somethings." They are each so, so meaningful to me!



Something Old

"Something old symbolizes the bride’s connection with her family and her past as a single woman."

I have two something old's that I'm carrying. One is my great-grandmother Grace's handkerchief. It's white with yellow flowers, and I love it. My grandmother gave it to me after Mamaw Grace passed in 2003. Our florist is wrapping it around my bouquet. The other "something old" is my Granny, Jamia's, "grandchildren" ring. She had a ring made with all of our birthstones in it. I loved my Granny more than probably anyone I've ever known, and I'm so glad to be able to honor her on our wedding day. I hope my cousins will also want to wear this sweet ring on their wedding days.
Something New

"A new item in the bride’s attire represents the new life she will soon begin."

I guess my something new is probably my dress and shoes. Or the ring P gave me that started this whole journey? This one is tricky!

Something Borrowed

"Borrowing an item to carry or wear on her wedding day reminds a bride that her friends and family are there for her should she ever need their help."

I also have two something borrowed's. One is my veil. My sweet friend Napolean is lending me her veil for our wedding. It's so beautiful and matches my gown perfectly! The other is a pearl necklace that Pearls is allowing me to borrow. Knowing both of these beautiful women are standing beside me on this day makes them even more special!

Something Blue

"In many cultures, blue symbolizes faithfulness and loyalty."

Appropriately, my something blue does symbolize faith and loyalty - in many ways! I have a fabulous MTSU garter that my sweet friend Em brought me from Murfreesboro! P and I met at MTSU, and it will always be our favorite place. "For the one true Pride of the Blue, MTSU Raiders Ride!" I also have an azure blue ribbon that was given to me on the day of my ADPi initiation that I'll have tied to something on the day of the wedding.

A Silver Sixpence

"A sixpence was a silver coin worth six pennies in England between 1551 and 1967. It was placed in the bride’s shoe to attract wealth to her new marriage."

Technically, my Sixpence is also a "something borrowed" from my sweet friend Disney Princess. She wore it on her wedding day, and I'm so grateful that she's lending it to me for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment