About Me

My photo
I'm a loving [although sometimes crazy] wife, a [very] loyal friend, a passionate educator, an involved citizen, a sensitive soul, a faithful Christian, a fiery Aries, and a classy lady.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It's the best feeling in the world...

...when you meet new friends that you can't stand to be without. [Unknown]

When I first met Pearls, I was terrified. There are very few people in the world that P holds in such high regard. Prior to the weekend at the lake, P warned me that I needed to pass the "{Pearls} Test." This is apparently a test that most folks don't pass on their second and third attempts, let alone the first. And, well, P really, really cares about Pearls, and he wanted us to not just get along but actually be friends. God love my sweet P.

What I've come to learn since that first weekend at the lake is that is she is worth every bit of that anxiety I felt at first. I've learned why girls are scared of her, and I've learned that she is so easy to love just the way she is. She can be brutally honest, blunt in her choice of words, and isn't so much a "hugger." I think the reason most women are scared of this is because deep down, we sometimes wish we could be like that. It's hard to always be sweet and candy-coat negative feelings, and it's considered strange if we're not touchy-feely. And, I've already expressed my love for friends who aren't afraid to hurt your feelings because your friendship is stronger than that.

But the reason I've come to love Pearls on my own is that her core traits are worth the work of getting into her heart. Pearls is incredibly loyal. Once she's decided you're worth it, you've got a friend for life. This applies not only to her friendships, but her fanfare. Her addiction to the Nashville Predators is comical to an outsider. She is fierce and cut-throat as a fan. This is probably due to her natural tendency to go all-out when she care about something. She doesn't do anything half-way. Once she's in - she's in for keeps.

She has the best memory of anyone I've ever met. She remembers those small details that make you feel truly listened to and appreciated. In the same vein, she is unbelievably thoughtful. She's inclusive in sharing and creating memories, and she tailors each opportunity or experience to the person. She is generous with her time, knowledge, and home. No matter what she has going on (and between her job and her business, she has A LOT going on!), she finds time and energy to be there. And not just be there in mere existence but to actually be present and involved in the conversation 100%.


When Pearls gets excited, there is no hiding it. She is excited with her ENTIRE being. Picture a little kid on their birthday and times it by at least 100. This is also exaggerated by the fact that very few things get Pearls truly excited. Sometimes this excitement is about a Halloween costume and sometimes it's because she's just come up with the perfect idea to make things more unique or special for a friend. Pearls is very creative. Her craftiness is enviable, and I get so excited when she's been crafty in my favor. I think she's so good at this because she has the ability to see both the big picture and the fine details.


I mentioned that I had to pass her test but don't let that fool you into thinking she's some kind of "mean girl." That's actually quite far from the truth. Pearls has a very small, tight group. She doesn't waste energy on having multiple, unimportant acquaintances just for the sake of it. She is very decisive in her relationships, and sometime in college, P won favor in her eyes. Pearls is married to one of P's best friends who is also a groomsmen. Pearls met her match in high school, knowing very early on in their relationship that he was "the one." Again, loyalty to the max.

Over the past two years, I've gotten to know Pearls as my own friend and not just an addition from P's life. She's the primary innkeeper of Hotel Kennedy and graciously hosts me anytime I visit Middle Tennessee. Sometimes we just lay on an air mattress in the living room watching Rocky Horror Picture Show. Pearls is the kind of friend that you're so lucky to make, especially in your adult life, because friends like her are few and far between once your enter "adulthood." Pearls is rare, beautiful, and classy, just like her nickname implies.

Leah, me, Andrea, Emily (Pearls), and Megan
"Sigma Nu Wives Club"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such a sweet 'bio'! It made my week. Excited to meet everyone this weekend.

    ReplyDelete