About Me

My photo
I'm a loving [although sometimes crazy] wife, a [very] loyal friend, a passionate educator, an involved citizen, a sensitive soul, a faithful Christian, a fiery Aries, and a classy lady.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.

It all started when my overly poofy 80's era hyper color dress smacked her in the face while she was leaning down to reach her cubby hole in second grade. Seymour Cuban and I become instant friends, and we've stayed that way through Beta club, boy drama, religious conversions, graduations, and a whole lot more in between. She's the bridesmaid I've known the longest, and our history is filled with more crazy stories than I have time to write about on this blog.

In middle school, when I decided to attempt a sport, she didn't laugh at me too hard when I was a terrible soccer player. In high school, she helped me get on the yearbook staff when there really weren't any spots open. In college when my parents divorced, Seymour Cuban opened up her guest room to me anytime I came home for a holiday and didn't want to have to choose between the parents. When I gradauted college and was about to move to South Carolina for grad school, she threw a "Mandie's Going Away Again" party complete with yellow solo cups. She's been to every graduation, no matter how far she's had to drive. She celebrates with me with every up and mourns with me when I'm upset. She knows when to take me swimming in a margarita and opens up her life when I just need a safe place to hide out for a while. No matter what, I can without hesitation say she has always been there for me. Even at our worst teenage drama, I've always known she and I would always be friends. I know I can always count on her, and I think she knows she can always count on me, too.

Seymour Cuban loves the people she loves without any pretense or expectations. She'll go out of her way without a second thought and never expects anything in return. She has supported me with every decision I've ever made, even if she's told me it probably wasn't the best idea. She's unassuming, incredibly thoughtful, and always has my best interests at heart. She is that friend you can call in the middle of the night no matter what it is, and she'll be right there.

I've known for years that I wanted Seymour Cuban to stand with me on my wedding day. She's stood by me through so much, it just wouldn't be the same without her there on such an important day. P and I were lucky enough to watch her say "I do" to her sweetheart in a small, private ceremony. We were the only "friends" in attendance. That's because she is more than my friend - Seymour Cuban is part of my family. The family you choose for yourself. The family you build over many years. It's been 19 years since I met Seymour Cuban. It's been an incredible ride, and I can't wait to see where we're going next.

Seymour High School 2000-2001
"Somebody's gonna drop everything, run out and crank up their car, hit the gas, get there fast. Never stop to think 'what's in it for me' or 'it's way too far." They just show on up with their big old heart. You find out who you're friends are." - Tracy Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment