About Me

My photo
I'm a loving [although sometimes crazy] wife, a [very] loyal friend, a passionate educator, an involved citizen, a sensitive soul, a faithful Christian, a fiery Aries, and a classy lady.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

(Little) Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend

When I first met Diamond, I never imagined in a million years she would become my "little sister" the following year. I was taking an Honors Theater Appreciation class during my first semester at MTSU. Since recruitment occurred in the first couple of weeks, I was super proud to don my newly acquired Greek letters to every class, every meeting, everything. Diamond was the super smart girl who sat in the front row, had an opinion about everything, and knew something about everything. One of her opinions was that sorority girls were dumb. She has said before that she doesn't remember thinking this, but I remember it to be true! ;) Thank goodness K and I were in that class to show her (and everyone else) that the assumption was completely untrue! In fact, I'd like to think we changed some opinions!

Anyway, suffice it to say I was completely shocked with Diamond walked through the doors during recruitment in 2003. I had no doubts she would get a bid - she's incredibly intelligent, completely beautiful, involved in a million different things, held leadership positions on campus, and can talk to a brick wall. When she joined ADPi, we immediately reconnected. When she became my "little sister" aka "Little Diamond," we were bonded for life. The day she became my little Diamond wasn't the best day for me personally. We happened to be getting little sisters on the same day I found out my parents were separated/ing. But, I was determined to make it a wonderful day for Diamond, and I like to think our struggles brought us closer.

Over the next three years, we spent a ridiculous amount of time together. We cried over boys who broke our hearts, laughed together through the late nights of Homecoming, danced our way through formals, and spring-breaked together when we needed a break from the world. Diamond was one of my best friends throughout college and has since remained one of my closest confidants. We continue to support each other through numerous struggles, joyfully reunite whenever possible, and catch up as often and as best we can even though our schedules are incredibly different.

Today I still tell Diamond pretty much every single thing. She is still one of the most beautiful people I've ever met - inside and out. She is still making the world a better place through her heart and her work. We've been through a lot together since we met over eight years ago. But the beautiful part about friendship like ours? It just keeps getting better. I am so blessed to have someone I love literally like a sister stand beside me on my wedding day. She's the only little sister I've ever had, and she's the only one I'll ever want. In June we'll have five generations of my Diamond family standing together for a picture! Just one of MANY reasons to be excited!

<> OBIC <>
2004 - Kristin, 2003 - Lea, 2002 - Mandie, 2000 - Andrea
Joining us in June for a reunion picture - 2005 - Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment